Thursday, February 26

Moving Day

I made my decision about the jobs. I am going for the start-up. A little less money now, and perhaps a bit more work. But this is what I came to silicon valley for – to participate in technology innovation. And, perhaps, to get some financial reward beyond the salary. And the salary is more than adequate.

I called the hiring managers and let them know. Company A (the start-up) was pleased and asked for a start date. He wanted me to start today. I held him off to Monday. That’s when Lynn starts her new job, too. This gives us a long weekend – without me having the stress of unemployment looming over my head.

I called company B (big computer company) and let them know. They were disappointed asked if there was something in the offer that could be fixed to change my mind (cool, I hadn’t thought of that.) No. They thanked me for the interest blah, blah, blah.

--------------------------

One thing about having a truck is that you make a lot of friends really quickly. You do a lot of moves for these friends. I was happy to move Lynn out of her townhouse in Milpitas. Eric (former co-worker and all around good guy) came along to help. We lifted with heavy things and Lynn got all the knickknacks and light stuff. While we were dragging the heavy dresser out though the living room, Lynn came up behind me, grabbed my ass, and said “You’re so wonderful.” That’s all the payment that I need. (Usually I demand beer and pizza).

There was a for sale sign in the yard. I had forgotten that she owned the place with Jim. I don’t know how they did it, or what the split was.

We took all of her clothes, a dresser, a desk, a book shelf, one of the TVs. She had a bunch of boxes packed which we loaded onto my truck. She had her car stuffed with things. We packed up most of the firewood off the rear deck, I took that back to my place – her apartment does not have a fireplace. All told, it was a single trip.

When we got to the apartment, the bed had been delivered. It’s a waterbed called a somma. It’s a unique design, where the water is in these 6 foot long tubes that are about 8 inches in diameter. Very phallic. Needless to say, we had a great time filling the tubes and putting the bed together. There was a lot of giggling. I haven’t had this much fun in a long time. Once the bed was together we broke it in. I think I rather like the waterbed effect.

We then spent most of the evening shopping – for glasses, kitchenware, towels, basic food. Everything you need to set up a home. We found a really neat wine rack at Crate and Barrel - it only holds 8 bottles - which is not enough – so I bought 2. Tonight we’ll go to K and L wines and I’ll fill it up. A house warming gift.

We got some Chinese take-out from a place in downtown Los Gatos, and sitting the floor of her dining room – kitchen nook, really. I put up some pictures while she set up the kitchen.

We ended the day with a soak in the Jacuzzi. It was a cold night and I wrapped myself in a towel and ran for the pool (but I did at least bring my swim trunks). The warm water was wonderful on the tired muscles. After a while we went back to the apartment and stepped into the shower together. She was wearing a gray one piece bathing suit that zippered down the front. We undressed each other slowly and, ahem, well… got really, really clean.

I woke up at 3 in the morning tangled up in her limbs and sunk into the water bed. I was quite hungry, and was going to root around in the fridge. I woke her, unintentionally, while trying to untangle myself. She pulled me to her. Half asleep, we made love again.

Afterward, I snuck out to the kitchen and found a container of oreo cookie ice cream. Lynn wandered out. “There’s a naked man in my kitchen eating ice cream” she said with mock alarm.

“Then you should pull up a spoon and join him.” I replied as evenly as I could.

We finished the ice cream. I have a new favorite flavor.

When I left to go home this morning, she gave me a key to the apartment.

3 comments:

ArchangelDecker said...

"When I left to go home this morning, she gave me a key to the apartment."


Whooooooooo!!!

Violet said...

I am glad it is all going well for both of you! I have to copy Arch on this one...Whooohooo!!!!!

Rich said...

Arch, Yeah! Virtual High-Five!

Violet, Thanks! Whooo!