Wednesday, March 25

Queer Eye for the Computer Guy

“You need a makeover” Maurizio said.

“A makeover?” I asked.

“Yes! Some new clothes, a haircut, a facial, a manicure. Improve the outer man. This is going to make you feel great. Let’s go shopping.”

“OK, but I draw the line at getting anything waxed.”

“No way. We’re going to get you a full Brazilian.” I thought that was for girls,. What do I know?

“Really, Maurizio, retail therapy is not my thing.”

“Come on. You need new clothes. You definitely need a new haircut – that mop probably worked when you were in high school in the early 90’s but this is the new millennium.”

With that, my lunch date with Maurizio turned into a day of hooky and shopping. I called Wayne (new boss man) and let him know I would be out for the day. I finished the project he gave me – and I think he was impressed with how fast I got it done. I haven’t been sleeping, so I’ve been able to put the late night hours in without any problem. If I don’t work I just think of Lynn, which is bad. Anyway, Wayne was cool with me being out.

Maurizio and I went up to San Francisco and went to more trendy shops than I knew existed. I blew several thousand dollars on clothes. Maurizio has pretty good taste and lot of it looked really good on me, if I don’t say so myself. There were several pieces that are in for alterations, but I did get clothes for Saturday night )dinner party at Kristen's)

We went to a hair salon and Maurizio introduced me to “Ricardo”. Who was totally flaming. What did you expect? This is a hairdresser in San Francisco. “He’s not really ‘Ricardo”, is he?” I asked Maurizio.

“No he’s Richard.”

“But I make a hell of a lot more in tips if I am flaming ‘Ricardo’” said Ricardo dropping the gay act for a moment. I was left wondering which persona was real.

“So what are we doing today?” He asked.

“The full heartbreak.” Maurizio said. I guess I’m not the first.

“Oh, nooo” said Ricardo, rubbing my shoulder sympathetically. “What happened?”

“Disaster. He was left for another man” Maurizio said darkly. Ricardo nodded knowingly. He called over an assistant who set to work giving me a manicure. Rosemary scented hot towels were produced. I was shaved and exfoliated and given several other treatments – which actually were quite nice. I had to admit, this was a lot more soothing than I was expecting. As Ricardo was working on my face, he said “You’re not getting enough sleep. These bags under your eyes. You need to take care of yourself or you are going to look old before your time. And the texture here – been hitting the sauce pretty hard, have we?”

“Uh, yeah – it’s been a tough couple of weeks.”

“Well it’s his loss.” I didn’t bother to correct him – on either count. “Him” was a “her” and in the grand scheme of things - I don’t think she lost – I did. “We are going to make you look just fabulous” Ricardo said, practically licking his lips. He proceeded to work on my face.

“Now, what are we going to do with the hair?” Ricardo asked. “Is this your natural color?”

“Uh, yeah”

“It’s sooo beautiful. Like honey. Just gorgeous red highlights.”

I actually hate that. I am a strawberry blond – but if I stay out in the sun enough it gets naturally bleached out. I have been indoors too much lately.

“I think we need something close cropped” said Maurizio “I’m thinking Matt Damon in the Bourne Identity.”

“No.” Ricardo disagreed. “I can’t take that much off of him. With hair like this it would be a crime. I’ll make it work,”

Ricardo set to work, and took more hair off then he left. He preened and stroked my hair and massaged my scalp. He started asking me personal questions. OK now I know which persona is real. Maurizio stopped him. “He got dumped by his girlfriend”.

At this, Ricardo recoiled. “No. What a waste.” But he continued to massage my scalp.

Once he was done cutting, he added highlights – and he did a good job. It looked like it used to in the summers in Hawaii, very natural. I’ve never had my hair dyed before. I’ve never had a manicure before.

Leaving the salon, I caught myself in the mirror and I did look good. Maurizio was right. This did make me feel good.

Maurizio and I went back to my house. He decided to make-over my bedroom as well. “What a disaster. You still have boxes. Nothing says ‘I’m not ready for a long term relationship’ than boxes already packed – or not unpacked. These have to go. You have a twin bad!” He yelled at me. “How can you ever bring a girl in here? We are ordering you a waterbed first thing tomorrow. And a computer on the floor? What is the bedroom for? Sex. Move that thing into the den or something. I am going to get you some art for these walls. Hmmm, maybe Nagel. That would work in here. And a plant. Nothing says ‘sensitive guy of the new millennium’ like a live plant.”

“No ferns” I protested. Was that wrong?

“OK, but, you need something.” He said rolling his eyes. “The only other thing you need to do is sell that truck. Don’t get me started on that. Why did you buy it?”

Maurizio is coming over on Sunday and we are going to clean up the bedroom.

17 comments:

Petunia said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!! Good job! Every guy should have a best friend who is gay! Maurizio, is FAB. And I do hope this FUN afternoon really helped you feel better. Now, when you can stop thinking that you lost more than she did, I think Maurizio's job will be complete!

ArchangelDecker said...

Strawberry blondes are *hot*!


We need pics! :D

Maurizio said...

Come on, Rich. Post pics or I will on my blog.

Maurizio said...

The world need to see my work!

Petunia said...

Yes! Picutres are needed!

Violet said...

OMG!!! I LOVE Mauricio!!! He is the BESTIE EVER!!!

Who said make over's were only for women? Women who go through break ups deserve a day all about them and men do JUST AS MUCH!

If I go for more than 6 weeks without getting my hair re-touched and cut, I go crazy, just ask Petunia!

And definitely need pics! of AND Maurizio!

Maurizio, where is your blog????

Violet said...

maurizio,

u have a dummy blog up, when are you going to start putting stuff there?

sorry rich, we need to hear about Maurizio too ;-)

Petunia said...

Don't pretend you can't read. We are waiting!

Rich said...

Readers, Sorry, but I just haven't been in the mood to engage in your comments. Despite Maurizio's attempt to cheer me up, I'm in a funk and don't really care about much of anything lately. Maybe I do need to dial 1-800-find-a-therapist. Thanks for reading, and thanks for leaving comments.

Maurizio said...

Violet, My blog will not be anonymous, like Rich's. Rich is afraid of offending someone - anyone. He wears 3 kinds of deodorant and carries breath mints obsessively. He's a nice guy, but he wouldn't last 5 minutes as a gay man. My simple existence offends millions. I love offending the religious right - I go out of my way to do it. My blog will be in-your-face - don't like it? Don't like me? Too bad.

When I start one I'll shoot you an e-mail.

Maurizio said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey Rich, you're kinda cute!

Anonymous said...

Where the hell did it go???

JenBun said...

Water... bed...?

Who has a waterbed anymore???

JenBun said...

Mo, email me too when you decide to start posting!!! :)

Rich said...

Jenbun, Yeah, seriously - although Lynn had one and it was kinda fun (in a retro sort of way), while it lasted. I ended up getting a nice queen-sized bed.

JenBun said...

Fit for a queen! ;)

I know you'll find her...