Wednesday, January 14

Flying Home


Greetings from 27,000 feet. I am on a flight from Chicago to Denver. It turns out that a flight direct from Chicago to San Francisco is more than twice as expensive as one that stops in Denver. Go figure. Due to expense reductions in the office, I am on a 3 flight relay from MSP to SFO. Nothing like visiting 4 airports in one day.

It was supposed to get up to 13 today in Minneapolis - according to last night's weather guy - but, no - the high was -1. I bought myself a really nice Minnesota toque to keep the head and ears warm. Eric bought some thermal underwear. We managed not to have anything freeze off.

The trip was a good one. Eric and I were able to get the new release installed and accepted by the customer. To celebrate, we took a couple of the guys from the customer out to dinner at a very nice restaurant. Our hero, the sales engineer (local talent in the MSP office), insisted on some really good wine to go with dinner and he picked up the check. We finished with a round of single malt scotches – something impossible to pronounce, and 21 years old. I love expense account dinners. It's one of the things that makes business travel bearable.

I got e-mail from Maurizio during the trip. He wants to get together next Monday. He seems to have the love jones somethin’ bad – which makes no sense – since he is spending the weekend with Stuart. I think I'll join him, as I've got some love jones going on, too - and I can't drown my sorrows with my favorite drinking buddy. Well I can, but that wouldn't be a real good idea. I'm going to need to figure out how to resolve that.

These coach seats are much too small – but I don’t have the frequent flyer miles to upgrade on United. I really need to learn to make more money.

On this flight I did buy a round of drinks for my whole row (6 folks, it's a full plane). I had 9 remaining free drink coupons from Meg (the wonder girl from the travel department) - and they'll probably expire before I go on another United flight. But before I did that, I asked the stewardess to offer a drink to the exotic and beautiful woman seated in 11F. She did so, without comment. Damn, how come only the gay male flight attendants are concerned about who I buy drinks for? Anyway, the lady in 11F took a cognac and gave me a wave and a smile in return.

6 comments:

ArchangelDecker said...

"These coach seats are much too small – but I don’t have the frequent flyer miles to upgrade on United. I really need to learn to make more money."


Nah, you just need a boss that isn't hell bent on making you miserable.

Which reminded me of something from a blog that has a collection of quotes of things said around offices and what all:

Peon #1: Yeah, that guy is a real jerk.
Peon #2: What you need is some jerk repellent. Some jerk-be-gone, or some jerk-off. Oh, wait...no.


:)

Maurizio said...

So what happened to the beautiful and exotic 11F?

Violet said...

Maybe the waitress could be a drinking buddy, did you ever call her?

BTW, thanks for stopping by my blog.

Rich said...

Arch, LOL - now I might smirk when I look at Dave. I'm gonna remember that.

Maurizio, She did say hi as we were getting off the plane. I told her the story of getting a drink for Eric - she had a good laugh at that one. Then she had to run for a plane to Portland.

Violet, nope didn't call her - but I still have the number. You do remember that she gave her number to Maurizio, not me. Maurizio's a hell of a lot prettier than I am. He tends to get a lot of phone numbers from girls - without even asking.

JenBun said...

Glad you're home, darlin'!

Too bad you didn't have longer to chat with the exotic lovely-- Portland's not TOO far away!

Rich said...

It's good to be home. I've almost completely thawed out. Damn, that was cold.

And, yeah, beautiful and exotic slipped away without me getting any contact information. (sigh) Oh, well.