Monday, April 13

Santa Cruz

Sunday, Paul and I went kayaking in Santa Cruz. It was foggy until about noon, forcing us to stay in the yacht harbor. After the fog lifted, the sky remained gray and slightly overcast. But this is actually good, as the dry top is really hot – especially when you get moving. I don’t think the air temperature got over 55. Paul did pretty well, for a beginner. He did capsize once near the breakers on the way out of the harbor, but was able to right his boat and climb back in. He tried to roll, but the waves were a little high for him. There were gale warnings for the open ocean outside Monterrey bay, so the waves were pretty high, even though the winds were calm near shore.

After a couple of hours of paddling we drove back to his house, where we hosed off the kayaks and gear in the front yard. After everything was cleaned up, I went inside for a shower. Kristen had a bottle of chardonnay chilled and gave us each a glass and we sat in front of the fireplace and talked. It reminded me of when I used to go windsurfing with Jim.

It was late in the afternoon and I offered to make dinner. “You can cook?” Kristen asked incredulously.

“Well,” I said slowly, “I can heat things up.”

“No, let Paul cook.”

“No, I want to. How about Jambalaya?” I asked.

“Aagh. No way. There is no way that you can cook Jambalaya.” Kristen almost yelled at me and then laughed.

I ran down to the Safeway a couple of blocks away and picked up some Italian sausage, shrimp, and chicken breasts, along with some bell peppers, celery, and onions. Paul had the rest of the ingredients. I also got a 12 pack of Mirror Pond – a micro brew from Bend, Oregon. Really good beer, if you can get it in your neighborhood.

I make a pretty mean jambalaya. I was explaining the deglazing process to Paul as Kristen walked in the kitchen. “Oh my god” she exclaimed “two good looking men who know how to deglaze.” Paul kissed her and got her a beer. “This is great beer, Rich” she said.

This was the first time I had cooked anything more challenging than a cup of instant oatmeal since the ugliness. I used to like to cook a lot – in fact it was how I would cheer myself up when I was feeling down. It was nice to cook again – and have someone appreciate the effort.

Kristen loved the Jambalaya. Paul was taking careful notes – unobtrusively – as I cooked. I’m guessing that he will be able to make a pretty good batch on his own. He asked a lot of questions as I was making it. Paul told me more about his trip to Vancouver Island. “So where is your dream trip?” he asked me.

“Well, I’ve always wanted to windsurf the British Virgin Islands.”

“Not paddle them?”

“A paddling trip would be to Puget sound, Vancouver Island, or the coast of Norway. For windsurfing, you want and need a place with warm tradewinds.”

“What about Oregon? The Columbia gorge?”

“Too cold. And the winds are too fierce there. I’m a Hawaii boy.”

“So when are you going to the Virgin Islands?” Kristen asked.

“No plans. You know, the new job and all.”

“Oh, [the CEO] will let you go. Just tell him it’s for windsurfing. He’ll understand.”

“Yeah, right. I was planning a trip with Lynn, but that didn’t pan out.”

“Go anyway.” She said. “Find a girl at the mall and tell her you can make Jambalaya and ask her to go with you.”

“I wish it was that easy.”

“Rich, you won’t get many ‘no’s.”

“It wouldn’t be the trip I want.”

At the end of the night, we had killed the 12 pack and a couple of bottles of wine. I asked for a place to sleep it off and was offered the guest bedroom. It was not made up. I guess Kristen does not get many impromptu overnight visitors. Paul efficiently prepared the room.

I slept pretty well.

8 comments:

Violet said...

i think u should still plan ur trip. u will be amazed at how much you can enjoy yourself where you really want to be (ie vacation). i have done a lot of things on my own lately and it is amazing.

side note: maybe you want to keep some boundaries with Kristen...I have a bad feeling about this

Rich said...

Violet, I'll keep traveling. I do agree that vacation can be a great way to forget one's troubles. But getting a beachfront bungalow on a private island in the Caribbean - solo - that's actually kinda depressing. I'll save that trip for when I get a nice steady girl-buddy.

As for Kristen, I think she's just bossy.

ArchangelDecker said...

"side note: maybe you want to keep some boundaries with Kristen...I have a bad feeling about this"


I agree with Violet. Deja vu all over again.

That being said, me personally, I would totally go to a desert island by myself. I have a 'thing' where I need to recharge my batteries and when I do, I need to do it solo.

Drink when I want, sleep when I want, eat, swim, yoga on the beach.... all on *MY* schedule.

Send me, I'll go! hahahahaha!


~Arch

Rich said...

Arch, It's funny, but I'll take a friend to a great restaurant or a lover to a 5 star resort and pamper her at the drop of a hat - but if I'm by myself I'm much less likely to go.

Maybe I'll go to the Bahamas. There are a couple hundred small uninhabited islands that you can paddle out to and camp on the beach. Seem more fitting for a solo trip.

Petunia said...

Hmmm...maybe that is a good place to start...learning to treat yourself as well as you would your "lovers" or whatever you choose to call them. It's all that loving yourself first stuff you need to get down before you find a partner. And loving youself has nothing to do with your ego or how cool you think you are...and could be the bigger the ego, the less one loves ones self as the ego becomes a good defense against the world. I'm jusr sayin'.

Okay, I'm clicking publish now.

Rich said...

I have always been more generous with other folks than myself. But I've never thought of this as pathological. I do indulge myself on a regular basis. I'll have to think about this.

With that said, there are many activities which are a lot more fun when shared with others, rather than done alone. Dinning at a good restaurant is always more enjoyable with friends and loved ones, IMHO.

Petunia said...

I agree with you completely on that. And I wasn't even thinking pathological...at all!

Petunia said...

Your comments are turned off on your newest post so I am going to comment here. The worst break up of my life...I couldn't breath, eat, sleep, think, function for months. Literally, for months. I could not see anything ahead without him, I could not see my life, I could not see hope, I could not see why to bother. I could not laugh, nothing was funny and I am a pretty funny person. I could see black, I could see numb, I could see the end. The big one is like that. And you will find the other end of the tunnel. You will find the light. It is there. All you have to do, and really nothing more, is get up everyday and get dressed and do that little bit you can do. And one day will add to up to two days then those days will add up at a few months then one day you will realize that you feel better...a little better. Then much better. You will never forget or be the same but you will be better. And it will be a better better. Feel as bad as you need to until you don't need to feel that bad anymore. It's the only way through the tunnel. I assure you, there is a shining sun at the other end. And I know you will find it.