Friday, April 24

I'm Hungry

It's a feeling I haven't felt in ages. Not just a gnawing in my gut, but salivating, anticipating - actually wanting to eat.

Sadly, it's probably more from this morning's huge calorie burn than from getting better - but maybe it's both.

This morning I was tossing and turning in my usual insomnia. I got up around 5 and made myself some coffee and had some fruit and a granola bar for breakfast. As is my usual custom these days I went for a paddle. I was aiming to go about 10 miles out on the bay. I don't know any other paddlers that want to get up at stupid o'clock in the morning, so I usually go solo on the weekdays.

About 7 miles into the workout, I was hit by a wave - and I was not paying attention, or I don't know what. But over I went - and I dropped my paddle. No paddle means no eskimo roll. I had to do what is called a "wet exit" - and swim for my paddle. Getting you boat righted when you have a paddle buddy takes a few minutes - when you're solo it takes a lot longer. I was in the water for about 1/2 an hour (gross!). It's been really hot in the bay area lately, so while I had a dry top on, I didn't have my usual winter insulation layers underneath. The water in the bay is near 50 degrees.

The 10 mile paddle burns about 1200 calories - the cold water likely drained another 1200. So, around lunch time - sitting in my cubicle - I was getting hungry. I started to drive for my local burger king - I have a real weakness for their double cheese burgers (guilty pleasure). And then I thought, this is first time in a couple of months that I'm going to really enjoy some food. Let's make it worth it. I headed for a restaurant called "Arcadia" in downtown San Jose. This place makes a kobe beef cheeseburger with white vermont cheddar that is to die for. And they serve it with duck fat fries - yes, potatoes deep fried in rendered duck fat. They are sooo good.

I had a great lunch, for the first time in a long time.

In other news, Kristen is trying to buy Paul a Cayenne - the Porsche SUV thing. Turns out that even in this down economy, there's a waiting list (a lot shorter than before) to buy them. I recommended a subaru - 4 wheel drive (the best kayaking sites are not at the end of paved roads), low roof height (you need to lift your kayak on top of it), easily cleaned inside (salt water does nasty things to leather seats) - and the hatch lifts up giving you a dry place to change in and out of your paddling clothes when its raining.

I'm off the Seattle for the weekend.

5 comments:

Petunia said...

Good for you...and now
I am hungry! That sounds like a FAB burger.

ArchangelDecker said...

"I started to drive for my local burger king - I have a real weakness for their double cheese burgers (guilty pleasure)."


Noooooooooo!!! In n' Out!!!


In n' Out!!


Enjoy Seattle! :)

Rich said...

Petunia, It was an awesome burger - go kobe whenever you have the chance.

Arch, yeah, well, that's why they call it a guilty pleasure. It's wrong, I know it - but I love it anyway. I've had some friends try to turn me on to in-n-out, and I've tried it, but, meh. There's no accounting for taste.

Anonymous said...

Dude, your most important safety equipment is your buddy. Get a paddle buddy!

Rich said...

Anon, yeah, I'm working on it. I won't find one that likes to paddle at 5 a.m. I guess I'll need to adjust my schedule or paddle less.