Thursday, June 25

That Amazing Accent

“So where did you get that amazing accent?” I asked

“Oh, it’s not that unusual.” Heidi responded.

“It’s beautiful, but I just can’t place it.” I was dining with Heidi at Reposado, a good mexican restaurant in Palo Alto. This was our 3rd date, and I am growing to like her more each time I see her.

“Well,” she said. “I was born in Sweden, Stockholm – where my father is from. I lived there until I was 4. Then we moved to Zurich in Switzerland. My family stayed there until I was 8, and we moved to Chicago. We lived there until I was 18 and we moved here to California.”

“So you speak Swedish?”

She ratted off something that sounded foreign. She smiled, “Ya. I also speak German, French, and English. I learned all those before I was 8. Later I learned Italian and Spanish.”

I am in awe. I tried in high school to learn a foreign language and it was way too hard for me. She speaks 6 fluently.

“But I can do a good Chicago accent.” She said.

“No way.”

“Yes.” She smiled, sat up straight, concentrated very hard, cleared her throat and said “There is a jackknifed semi blocking 3 lanes of traffic on I-90 East bound just past O’hare, with huge backup behind it. It’s going to be a hot one here in Chicagoland, highs near the 90s with a light breeze off the lake.” She did it with an amazingly neutral American mid-western accent - just like a newscaster.

I laughed.

“My mother is from Chicago, she forced me learn English without an accent. But it is too hard. It is more natural to have an accent. I guess it’s a mix of Swedish and German.” I later learned that German is the official language of Switzerland. “So where did you grow up? I detect a bit of an accent from you as well” she asked.

“I don’t have an accent.”

“Yes, you do. Very slight, but it is cute.”

“I was raised in Hawaii.”

“No. Were you born there?”

“Yeah.”

“Did you go to school there?”

University of Hawaii at Manoa.”

“This can’t be. No one can grow up in Hawaii. That’s like being raised in Disneyland.”

“It’s just another state. We have traffic jams, homework, dentists.”

“But it’s paradise. Why did you leave?”

“Well, the cost of living is really high, and the job opportunities are really limited. Higher rent, lower pay. You have to really want to live there to make it work..”

“Is your family still there?”

“Yeah, my parents and sisters live there. So I have a nice place to stay when I visit.”

We talked about travel, and music and a number of other topics. After a wonderful dinner I drove her back to her house. We had a glass of wine sitting outside of her cottage and dangling our feet in her parent’s pool.

At the end of the night I gave her a gentlemanly kiss goodnight, and drove home.

5 comments:

ArchangelDecker said...

Rich~

When you go back to HI, do you get 'island fever' if you are there for extended amounts of time?

Rich said...

Arch, No I don't. That was all I knew growing up - it seems normal to me. I do know lots of folks who can't handle being in the same small place all the time. Don't bother me, tho.

Petunia said...

I never got island fever when I lived there either.

Heidi seems like a nice girl so far and I really hope she is. You have earned one. I am wondering how you will feel if you ever go to one of her work events with her and have to see Lynn and hewhoshallnotbenamed.

Rich said...

Betsy, You're a Hawaii girl? Cool.

As for Heidi - not sure I'll be around long enough to accompany her to any company functions. She does seem like a nice girl - but she's not really warming up to me.

Of course, if she does, and if I see Lynn and Tim - yeah, really awkward.

Petunia said...

I am a Jersey girl! I lived in Kialua on Enchanted Lake for a bit and loved it! I never wanted to leave, ever. And then I did and I still know what the air smells like....divine.