Tuesday, June 2

Dinner?


I always wondered what it would be like to drive a $100,000 car to work.

It wasn’t as fun as I had imagined it might be.

Last night I was out with Kristen and she had a bit too much to drink. I drove her home in her car and then took it to my house. It is a pretty new Mercedes 550SL convertible. I knew that if I totaled it my insurance wouldn’t cover me. Kristen’s insurance probably would, but that’s not the point. I wasn’t too worried about totaling it. I was more worried about getting a scratch in it.

The car is amazing. You put a card in your pocket and when you walk away from it, it locks and sets the alarm. When you walk up to it, it unlocks and you can drive it away. Driving it to work it sure got me a lot of attention. I had the top down and got lots of glances and waves from the other commuters. Once again I drove slowly and carefully. It sure would be a lot more fun to drive if I wasn’t so worried about messing it up.

Later this evening I was eating dinner with Kristen in the kitchen at the office. I was having a microwaveable deep dish pizza. She had built a sandwich.

“How do you handle the weekends?” she asked.

“What do you mean?”

“Being at home, alone. I mean, that’s the worst – for me at least.”

“Alcohol abuse helps. Exercise to the point of exhaustion. I have 2 housemates, that helps, too. I was really getting better – until I was out at the Mt. View wine festival and saw them together. Man, that one really screwed me up again.”

“You ran into them? Together? All happy and in love?”

“Yup.”

“Oh, Rich, that had to hurt. Hey, can you come over Friday night? I’d really appreciate it.”

“I’d be happy to. Do you want to do dinner somewhere? Or should I cook for you?”

“Oh, Rich, cook, please. Make me some Jambalaya. I’ll provide some really good wine and great conversation.”

“That sounds like a fair trade. But not Jambalaya, besides that goes better with beer than wine. I have a better dish in mind. Are you willing to help cook?”

“Sure.”

“This dish is better than a month of therapy.”

“I’m not sure how food works as therapy, but I’m game. Should I get anything?”

“Have a bottle of champagne on hand. I’ll bring everything else.”

“Something to celebrate?” She sounded confused.

“No, I know it’s incongruous, but it’s an essential ingredient. You’ll see.”

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, you're going over to her house? Is that smart?

Petunia said...

Hmmmm...I too have to wonder if this is a good idea. Are you SURE you want to do this?

Maurizio said...

Rich, this is not one of your better ideas - I'll call you.

Rich said...

Well, that's 3 nays.

She's a friend and she's hurting. It's not going to be a tragedy.

Anonymous said...

Go, Rich, go. Think of the blog fodder...

Petunia said...

She is not your friend. She works with you, is your boss. This makes her not your firend. This makes her a big mistake.

Rich said...

Anon, well, that's one vote in favor

Petunia, Just to be clear, I don't report to her directly or indirectly - other than she is an officer of the company I work for. But remember this is a 20 person company.

I can have friends that are women and I can have friends that are co-workers. Don't you trust my judgment and discretion?

Petunia said...

I think you most likely have very good judgement and discretion in general. And I get that guys have female friends and that they can be co-works. So, I agree with all of what you said. However, with this particular woman I think you should proceed cautiously. I all your posts about her you have painted a picture of a self centered, angry (you used the word bitchy) woman. Be careful is all I am saying. And maybe remember that it is all about her all the time. One more thing: If someone ever called me out in a meeting the way she did you, I would never trust them not to do it again. Fly far from the flame, little moth!

ArchangelDecker said...

I agree with Petunia.


I fully understand every Geek needs his Princess Peach, however, this one ain't it, pumpkin. A VP + rank and file is a recipe for disaster.


As my father used to say: don't shit where you eat. :)

Rich said...

Thing is, I'm not trying to make her my girl buddy. And that kind of thing does not just happen - I need to work at it, really work at it. Most probably, I could have dinner with her and try to put the moves on her and not get anywhere. That's just how my life goes.