Sunday, May 24

Missing in Action

On Saturday Paul and I were going to go paddling. It was looking like a really nice day – probably too hot for paddling. I started out early (well, early for Paul), to take advantage of the tides and keep things cool. I loaded up the truck at 8 a.m. with the drysuit, paddles, and boat. I took a thermos of French roast, some high calorie snacks, and a lunch. I slathered myself with SPF 30 and headed out.

I got to Kristen’s house at about 8:30. Paul was usually in the garage waiting for me, but today there was no sign of him. Now that I thought of it, Paul didn’t call the night before. He usually confirms the weather and tides a day before we go out. I just assumed that with the nice weather forecast there was no need to check.

I pulled into the driveway, then walked up to the door and knocked. Kristen opened the door and said curtly “Paul can’t come out and play today.” There was an anger in her voice that I hadn’t heard before. I was thinking of a cute response. What came to mind first was “has he been bad, are you going to spank him?” I immediately nixed it as inappropriate for someone I work with, and way too flirty. Before I could say anything, the door was slammed on my face. Well, I guess she wasn’t in the mood for chatting.

All dressed up with no where to go, I went down to Santa Cruz anyway. I warmed up in the yacht harbor, and then against my better judgment paddled out into Monterrey Bay solo. It was fairly calm and a nice day – the winds were light so I figured I’d be OK. I saw a couple of sea otters in a kelp bed – I wish I had had my camera with me.

After paddling for almost 3 hours I grabbed a couple of slices of pizza and a beer at the beachfront eatery near the crow’s nest. The pizza there is pretty bad, but I had already consumed all my snacks and my lunch. Paddling does have a significant calorie burn to it (300 – 500 calories an hour, I paddle fast so I’m probably at the upper end of the range). It’s probably part of the reason I have dropped so many pounds lately. But for the first time in a while I was really hungry for some high calorie/high fat food. When you’re hungry like that, even bad beach pizza is immensely satisfying.

It was about 3 in the afternoon and the sun was out and I was sitting at one of those cheap plastic tables outside of the pizza place. I was finishing my beer and watching the pretty girls play volleyball on the beach. I tried to call Paul on his cell phone and just got his voice mail. I called my buddy Steve and filled him in on what he was missing – turns out it was a beautiful day in the Pacific Northwest as well. He was out running near Green Lake enjoying the great outdoors as well. I thanked him again for the party. Then gave him a brief play by play of the game in front of me – mostly just to describe the bikinis. He responded with “Ho man, I gotta get down there – no bikinis up here.”

I hung out on the beach until sunset.

I think I’ll start looking for a place in Santa Cruz. The commute will be a bear – but this place is beautiful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Define love.
If only those people realize what a blessing to be sincerely cared about...

I wonder how it is like to be loved in such a way...
I wonder...

Rich said...

Love is wonderful, I've experienced it for a few brief periods in my life. I guess I should consider myself lucky.