Thursday, May 21

Hawaii Calling

The caller ID said 808-xxx-xxxx. I didn't recognize the number. But the area code was Hawaii (I grew up in Hawaii and still have a lot of friends and family there). I answered “Hello?”

“HI, Rich.” The woman's voice on the other end of the phone was a familiar one – and it left a knot in my stomach.

“Sarah.” She was back in Hawaii. “How have you been?”

“Pretty good, how about you?”

“I’m great.” Why do we never answer that question truthfully, I guess it’s just a greeting. “It’s been a long time.”

“Yeah, sorry I haven’t been in touch.”

Sarah is the girl that left me at the altar – almost literally - about a year ago. We were engaged and right up until the wedding everything was going perfectly (I thought). Then she disappeared. I found out from some mutual friends that she got cold feet. I never heard from her again. I called, I e-mailed, I texted - no reply at all. As far as I knew, she could have been dead.

“I hope you’re not really mad at me.” She said, almost asking.

“No, no. I mean… well… its like… um…” damn it, my brain turned to oatmeal again. I couldn’t think of anything to say that wasn’t mean. I wanted to yell at her ‘You ripped my heart out and then stomped on it and walked away, of course I’m pissed at you.’ But it wouldn’t be her that I would be yelling at.

“Rich, I’m really sorry about how things worked out. And I wouldn’t blame you for being mad. But…” she paused gathering up her courage, “I’m going to be in San Francisco next week. If you have some time I’d like to see you, if you’re not too mad.”

“No, I mean yes. I mean no,” I was stammering like Hugh Grant – but I don’t think the effect was as charming. I slowed down and took a breath. “No, I’m not too mad, and yes I’d like to see you.”

There was an awkward silence.

“Could you just tell me why?” The question just popped out. It wasn’t for her – it was for Lynn but I’m getting everyone scrambled here.

“Yeah, I can, over dinner, next week, OK?”

We made arrangements to meet for dinner on Thursday night.

Hungry, for the first time in what seemed like years, I walked over to the fridge to look for something to eat.

5 comments:

Petunia said...

No matter what she says to you, she is an angel. A few answers about a few things might make a world of difference for you right about now. "GO TEAM RICH!".

Rich said...

An angel? The runaway bride? Hmmm, I'll have to reserve judgment on that one 'till I see her again.

Maybe I'll get "closure" - whatever that means.

I want to see her, yet there's a part of me that wants to run screaming away from her.

Petunia said...

I didn't mean angel in that she is suddenly promoted to wearing a halo and flying around in a flowing white gown with wings. Not even close! I meant that she might have answers to questions and no matter what she did, if she can show up after all of it, well, maybe she does have a lopsided halo...and maybe she can help you. But, then again, I can totally see the running and screaming thing, too but maybe save that til the end?

Rich said...

Yeah, that sure does take balls - or in this case earns her a crooked halo.

She's a sweetheart.

Petunia said...

It is Thursday night. Please try to tell us about how things went...SOON!