Tuesday, October 20

Martinis


“I can’t lose her. I just can’t.” I was sharing a martini with Kristen after work. I was referring to my relationship with Heidi, which seems to be on its last legs.

“Why not, you don’t seem like you’re that into her.”

“I’m not” I sighed, “but if I don’t have her, there’s no reason for me not to go back to Lynn. And I really don’t want to go back to Lynn. But damn it, I’m still in love with her.”

I took a long sip of my martini and signaled the barkeep for another.

“Oh, and I’ve got a new paddle buddy.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. 17 year old girl from Santa Cruz.”

“Oh Rich.” Kristen gave a good belly laugh. “Keep yourself out of jail.”

“She’s my paddle buddy – not my f-buddy”

“I know, but Rich…” and she laughed and shook her head. Yeah I know, I’m a guy and she’s a 17 year old girl.

“She’s a great paddler – better than I am. You know I could paddle rings around unmitigated beast. But I can barely keep up with this girl.”

“Welcome to getting old, Rich.”

We commiserated over bad relationships for a while and finished our martinis. As we were leaving, Kristen said “So you can stay away from Lynn for Heidi – someone you’re not that into.”

“Yeah” I replied.

“You really ought to be able to stay away from Lynn for you.”

2 comments:

ArchangelDecker said...

Quote: “You really ought to be able to stay away from Lynn for you.”


That will about take care of the fly-by....


You should take her out to dinner for that comment. That is probably the best piece of unsolicited advice I've seen.

Kristin rules! :)

Rich said...

Yeah. That is wisdom.

But, I already know what I'm going to do. I hate it. But I know what's going to happen. Trying not to be too predictable, I will sabotage my relationship with Heidi and get back with Lynn.

I know. It's stupid. It's really stupid. And I'll do it anyway.

Someone stop me, please!