Thursday, October 29

Insecurity and Drunkeness

Hello loyal readers - yes both of you. Sorry I've not posted for a while. Life has been hectic. Let me catch you up on the high points.

Next week: Japan and China. Yes, Kristen wrangled me a trip to the far east for a promotional marketing tour for our latest release. Pete's headed for Europe, the CEO to NY, Kristen's taking Silicon Valley and Boston. We are going to spread the word about all the great things we've been doing at work. I leave on Monday for Japan. Two days in Tokyo, one in Osaka. Then on to Shang Hai and some other places I can't pronounce. Should be fun.

On Saturday night Heidi and I dined at MacArthur Park in Palo Alto, a venerable steakhouse. Not my favorite place, but Heidi likes it. Despite a fall chill in the air we took the new ride and left the top down. Valets were suitably impressed and left it right by the door, to create an ambiance of elegance - well that's what Heidi said.

Dinner was good, accompanied by a great bottle of wine. After dinner we took a stroll through downtown Palo Alto and then went back to her place. We sat outside of her cottage by the pool and had some more wine. If she was not going to have me over for the night I would sleep in my car around the corner. I had had too much to be driving.

"Why are you with me?" she asked, after a lull in the conversation - I knew I needed to keep things moving, oh well.

"I've grown rather fond of you. Haven't you noticed."

She scoffed mildly. "Yeah, the secretaries at work are jealous. You kind overdid it with the flowers."

"The two dozen roses were a mistake - I only ordered one."

"Rich, but why me?"

"Why not you? You have an amazing accent that makes me want to just eat you up. You're beautiful and witty and ..."

"So why do I feel so insecure?" she interrupted.

Oh, crap. How do I answer this one? Because you know I'm in love with Lynn. "Because you're silly." Let's hope some wine and that answer do the job.

"Seriously. You have it all. The job, the car, international travel..." I told her about the trip. She sighed. "You're gorgeous and you're hung like a north wood's bear." OK, that cognacs gone to her head. I'm not even sure if bears have big penises - was that an insult or a compliment? "You know that Greg - he respects you. I can tell." Greg is a guy I've known for a while - before he got famous - but if you read Forbes or Wired you've head of him. He is an internet gazzillionare. Heidi and I had dinner with him a few weeks back. "My dad respects you. He has 4000 people working for him. And he respects only about 10 of them. They all make over a million a year." I thought about asking if he had any openings... "My dad has never respected any of my boyfriends." Ah. Now I get it.

I looked her in the eyes. "I am not going to leave you for Lynn. I promise. Guys do a lot of stupid things for girls. But I'm not going to do that. I've been very honest and open with you. I've never given you a reason not to trust me. Please trust me."

She kissed me. Yes, she was drunk, more that I was. She took me into her cottage and then into her bed. "Come here you big bear" she said as she pulled me into her bedroom.

At 3 in the morning, I remembered. I had made arrangements with paddle girl to go paddling on Sunday morning at 5:30. I wanted to text her - "Got lucky Saturday night, go without me - hung over." I never got her number. I could just stand her up. It's not like it's a serious commitment or anything - this is just paddling. But I wanted to go.

I dragged my butt out of bed a bit before 4 (to Heidi's sleepy protests, "Aren't you going to make me breakfast" she whined, "You're going paddling? You're crazy") headed home, took a shower, loaded up the truck with all my paddling gear and headed down to Santa Cruz.

I got there just at about 5:30. Paddle girl was doing her stretching exercises on the dock. I dragged my boat down. "Morning."

She looked up at me. "You look tired."

"I was out late last night."

"Yeah?" She was expecting details. It was hard not to think of her as one of the guys - and this as a locker room.

"I got lucky."

"I thought you were getting over your runaway bride? Now you're sleeping around?"

I was about to say it's complicated. "I'm kinda hung over, too."

"We'll take it easy." She told me. Of course, her taking it easy isn't that easy. "Was she cute?" She was prying for details, like one of the guys.

"Big boobs." The conversation struck me as absurd.

We paddled about 5 miles in an hour and 10, by my watch. When we got back to the harbor, I hurled up my breakfast and coffee - well never mind the details. I did manage to get everything in the water - so there was nothing to clean up.

"Sorry" paddle girl said. "I didn't mean to make you do that."

"Don't worry" I said and rinsed my mouth. "Hell of a night."

We cleaned up the boats and loaded them on the cars. As she was getting into her car she called me over. "Hey - my paddling team - we're having a party on Friday at ---- beach. Bon fire, barbecue, beer. Wanna come?"

"You can't have beer."

"No not me, you know, parents, coaches, old folks from the paddle club. You'll fit right in."

Uh, thanks, yeah, me and the old folks can compare walkers and depends. "I'm not sure. Can I call you?" She gave me her number. "I wanted to call you this morning - and cancel."

"So you could stay in bed with big boobs?"

"Yes, actually."

"The workout was good for you. Sweat out the hangover, that's what I do. See ya." She drove off. 17 years old and she has hangovers??

2 comments:

Violet said...

Rich, Rich, Rich, be careful with the 17 y/o! But who am I to give advice, you know about me and IE...anyway, I like the line "big boobs" it just goes to prove men are really about the "boobs"...[me moving boob job higher up on my list of things to do] hahaha

Rich said...

Well, the alleged 17 y/o - not such a bad problem - if you see my newest post.

And don't go under the knife! I'm seriously heartbroken over a girl who is pretty flat chested. Boobs are nice, but so are legs, and smiles and eyes and.... (sigh) ah, women, how wonderful they are