Wednesday, July 15

Liar, liar...



"Rich, I have a confession to make"

"Uh, OK." I started to wonder -but my imagination is probably wilder than she is, so I wasn't too worried. "What is it?"

"Well, you know, when I told you that I had recently celebrated by 32nd birthday?" Heidi asked me.

"Yeah"

"Well, I really was celebrating my 32nd birthday. But my 32nd birthday was a few years ago."

That was actually one of the more clever ways of looking at birthdays that I have heard of. I was amused. "How many years?" I asked. She just learned that I'm 35.

"Four" she said very sheepishly.

That makes her a few months older than me. Frankly, I don't care. It doesn't bother me at all that she's older than me. It doesn't bother me that she lied about her age. I rather expect women to. I was wondering what to do. I do expect anyone I'm in a relationship with to be honest with me. I try to be. But I am also realistic enough to know that a few white lies can keep things on an even keel. ("Do these jeans make my butt look fat?") I also know that we don't share everything - some things are better left unsaid. And, I never asked Heidi her age - I know better than that - she volunteered that information.

I thought about acting angry about this. I mean, it is quite reasonable to be unhappy when lied to. Could this be the lame excuse I need to just walk away from this?

But I don't want to walk away from all this. I really like her. I enjoy her company. But this isn't going to be a romantic relationship. Maybe I should take this as my opportunity to come clean with her about my intentions. I like you, but I'm only interested in your mind, not your body. What girl wants to hear that?

But do I need to come clean? I mean, we go out, we spend my money, we have fun. Just because we are casually dating, does that mean I need to take it to the next level? Am I under any obligation to pursue a romantic relationship? She is under no such obligation. I don't have any expectations - for love or sex.

I needed more time to figure this out. I'm probably going to be chicken shit about this and ignore it until she makes a move. I know. I suck. And she was waiting for my reaction. "That makes you older than me." I observed. Trying to buy myself some more time.

"Yeah" She said, even more sheepishly - if that was possible.

"Well, I'm OK with that, if you are."

"You're not mad?"

"No" I laughed - hoping it didn't sound forced. "But just promise me that if you catch me in a little white lie, you'll cut me some slack, too."

She seemed genuinely relieved.

No comments: