Friday, July 17

Bye bye

“Man, I’m going to miss you” said Amanda, with an emphasis on the word “you”. I had just handed her a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice. I had gotten up early and was going for a paddle before work. I was trying to be quiet and honor Jason’s request that I not feed Amanda anymore. She heard me banging around in the kitchen and came out. The past few days, I’ve been getting up early and going for my paddle. If Amanda was up and about I’d get her some coffee or orange juice, but we’ve been skipping our breakfasts together. This morning she caught me in the kitchen getting ready to go, and I made her a glass of OJ. That’s when she told me how much she’d miss me.

“As opposed to?” I replied.

“Jas.”

“Moving on?”

“Yeah. It’s not working. The whole jealousy thing. He's getting out of control. He hasn’t had a lot of girlfriends, has he?”

“You’re the only one in the past year. I’m not sure about before that – but I think you’re probably right.”

“Usually that’s a good thing. They’re so grateful to have a girlfriend that they’re well behaved. Make me breakfast?” She asked and gave me a big smile.

“You sure that’s a good idea?” This really went against my better judgment.

“Yeah. Time to set this bridge on fire.”

“What do you want?”

“The Full Monte. Make me that eggs benedict you brag about. And pour me a mimosa while you’re at it.”

“Your tastes have gotten sophisticated.”

“You’ve been spoiling me.” She shrugged.

“You know that’s really going to piss him off.”

“Yeah, guys are dense. You need to hit them over the head with a two by four to get them to notice anything.” I gave her a blank look. If ‘guys are dense’ what am I – fuckin' chopped liver? Oh, yeah, I am chopped liver. For some reason, girls often talk to me like I’m one of them – I guess I’m too ‘safe’. She went on, oblivious, “otherwise he’ll be calling me and whining and stalking me and trying to get back together. I hate that. Better to make a clean break of it.” She finished her juice. “Ya know, I used to think that you were freaky obsessed about food. But, I gotta admit, fresh squeezed OJ is a great way to start the day.”

“It only takes a minute. Slice open a couple of oranges, put ‘em in the juicer and you’re there.”

“Yeah, but then you have a knife and a cutting board and a juicer to wash. I’d rather just pop open a plastic bottle.”

I shrugged. You get out of life what you put into it.

I pulled a bottle of champagne from the fridge – who am I to say no to a cute girl looking for mimosas? (Shit, my judgment sucks anyway) I had a nice bottle of Mumm’s Napa sparkling brut chilled. I can always paddle tomorrow.

It took about half an hour to make breakfast. After the mimosa, Amanda was drinking the champagne straight. I took a flute myself. Just after I plated the breakfast Jason came out of his bedroom. He looked at us, disgusted, shook his head and went outside without a word. We heard a car drive off with a chirp of tires. Amanda tapped her champagne flute against mine and winked at me. Man that really made me feel like shit. I was not happy to be involved in hurting Jason like that. But, it was inevitable - and as she said, it's best to make a clean break of it.

Things will probably be a bit tense around the house for a while. I think I may need to get either a new house mate - or a new house.

4 comments:

ArchangelDecker said...

Rich~


You have to understand something, hon. You are NOT responsible for other people's behavior. If Jason decided to be a douchebag and ruin his relationship with his gf, then that's on him.

IMO, if he were any kind of man, he would have gone to you and begged you to teach him how to cook, so he could do it himself and not worry about what you were doing. But instead he has to live with the consequences of his actions and blaming everyone besides himself, while convenient for him, does him no good in the long run.


Just my 2 copper.


Arch

Rich said...

Arch, I'm not assuming any responsibility - I just feel bad for him. That's gotta hurt, even if it's his own damn fault.

You're right, he could have learned to cook, or even just gotten up with her.

I'm going to miss her a bit. It was nice having her around. (It's always nice to have someone around who appreciates my cooking.)

Petunia said...

As a cook and one who loves to cook for other people, I know what you mean about missing her. I have this thought that guys get over this kind of thing pretty fast...could be wrong...so, maybe things won't be that tense around the house for very long. I mean, as archangle said, you didn't make this happen and if he really wanted to keep her/impress her, he would have. So, the thing he might get over quickly is whatever he thought you had to do with it. I LOVE Hurricanes. They make me very smart. HA!

ArchangelDecker said...

"It's always nice to have someone around who appreciates my cooking."


I agree! :)