Tuesday, October 28

Paddling in Eureka

Had a tough night (see prior post). After party girl woke me up and left my room, I called down to the front desk and extended my stay another night. I'm on a road trip and staying at the Red Lion in Eureka. It was about 9:30 A.M. and I was dead tired and I was not about to get up, check out, and hit the road. I put out the do not disturb sign and went back to sleep until noon.

I found an all day breakfast restaurant and had a nice eggs benedict and fresh orange juice. I lingered over coffee and the newspaper. One of the best things about being on an unscheduled vacation is the opportunity to do nothing for a while.

Eureka sits on Humboldt bay. A great spot for both surfing and windsurfing. But the wind was virtually non-existent and the waves coming on off the pacific were sloppy and unsurfable. I didn’t bring along my kayak (darn, I knew I forgot to pack something) but I was able to rent one from Humboats for the afternoon.
Got in a pretty good workout – paddled for a bit over 10 miles. I’ll probably go back tomorrow. I’m gonna go sit in the hot tub.

No comments: