Friday, October 24

Beach Camping

The middle of nowhere to Shelter Cove - about 35 miles (2 days)

I’m enjoying a warm cup of coffee overlooking the Pacific on a crisp clear autumn morning, after a soul satisfying breakfast. Life is not so bad.

I spent the night before last camping on the beach. Found a great, but very hard to get to, surfing beach. Did a bit of windsurfing, too. Should have brought a backpack. But made a few trips from the road to the beach and I was able to set up camp. Built a small fire from driftwood to cook my food. Slept with my head poking out of the tent to see the stars. The night sky is incredible here. Fell asleep listing to the wave crash on the beach.

Broke camp in the morning and drove north towards a town on the map called Shelter Cove. Turns out to be a small town, with a few Inns, B&Bs, an airport, and a small marina. There is a fishing charter company, but they are closed up for the season. If not I would have gone fishing for the day. Looks like this is a summer playground for the rich – fly in and stay at your beach house for the weekend. Didn’t see any celebrities. Didn’t see much of anyone. The town seems to shut down in September, and stays that way until May. Beautiful spot though.

Put up for the night at the Inn of the Lost Coast. Very romantic spot. My room had a bathtub for 2 with a view of the ocean. Need to remember this place when I get myself a steady girl-buddy. Getting here is a bear – it would test the patience of any relationship. Of course, the answer is to just to take the private jet (ha ha). Anyway, for the second night I fell asleep to the sound of the waves on the shore. I could really get used to this.


No comments: