Monday, November 30

Moth to a flame

I think we all knew this post was inevitable. Yup. I did it.

Wrong. So absolutely wrong. I did it anyway.

Here’s the thing. I wanted it. I really wanted it. I know my friend Kristen said that I should be able to stay away for myself. But that assumes that I want to stay away. I don’t. I so f-ing love her. I always wonder why girls go back to the bad boys. Why do I go running back to the bad girl?

Why does the moth fly into the flame?

You know, I do a lot of things that are bad for me. I eat fatty foods. I mean really fatty food – I eat hollandaise sauce. Which is really just egg yolks and butter whipped up together. These are two of the worst foods on the planet for folks who might develop heart disease. Guess what? I’m an American, in all likelihood going to die of heart disease. I love steak sandwiches slathered with mayonnaise. I love eggs benedict. I drink. I drink a lot. I like the way that alcohol makes me feel. I think nothing of sitting down and drinking a bottle of wine – at one sitting. No point in dying of that heart attack and having a pristine liver.

If it feels good, do it. I’ve made peace with the fact that this philosophy will probably shorten my life substantially. And it will result in hangovers, and all manner of other problems. So be it. Maybe one day I will regret this. But for now, I’m being true to myself.

It was Sunday. I was still recovering from a day on the water with paddle girl - so I wasn't up for any outdoor activity. I had read and re-read all the blogs I follow. Check all manner of e-mail accounts – nothing new here. I was bored. No, I knew what I was thinking. I was alone. She was alone – well I presumed she was alone. Maybe she’s banging her neighbor, or another co-worker. Who knows. I wanted to know. I was so hoping that she was alone.

When I could no longer stand it, I called her.

“Hey” she said answering the phone “it’s been a while.”

“How you doing?”

“Not that bad. You?”

“I’m hungry again.” She knew that that meant.

“Good for you. I knew you’d get there.”

I’m glad you had faith that I wasn’t broken for life. I wasn’t so sure. I didn’t know what to say next.

“Are you OK?” she asked.

“Yeah, I just… I’m…” I sighed. Here goes. Hold on heart. Here we go again. “I’d really like to see you.”

“I’d like to see you, too.” was that a sob I heard on the other end of the phone?

There it was again. Yes, it was a sob. Of shame? Joy? Elation? Remorse? Sorrow? Who knows.

“Come over. I’m home. Whenever you’d like.”

“I’ll be there soon.” I hung up.

I took my car (not the truck) and drove down to Los Gatos. I’m sure that I was speeding all the way. As I pulled into the parking lot of her apartment building, I saw her standing in the parking lot. I pulled into one of the visitor parking spaces and she walked up to the car on the driver’s side. I got out and she hugged me tight. We kissed. She started to cry. (I’m just going to assume that these are tears of joy). I cried, too. We stood there in the parking lot for what seemed forever. She pulled back, put her hands on my cheeks, looked me in the eyes, and said “I love you, Rich.” She kissed me again. “I’ve always loved you.” This was like the end of Slumdog millionaire – but without the Indian music and the dancing. You know what I mean.

We hurried to her apartment and stumbled in the door. We hastily undressed each other – leaving a trail of clothes from the door to the bedroom. She was wearing that blue camisole that I just love. I stopped momentarily to admire it.

We made the maddest, most passionate love ever. Twice.

We collapsed into each others arms and I drifted blissfully off to sleep.

4 comments:

Violet said...

Wow! I was wondering how much longer it would take for this to happen. And you tell me, what is it about this bad girl that has you so blindly in love? Maybe the same thing that has me head over heels for my bad boy? I have no clue. If you find out first, please do share the secret!


And about the post prior to this one: I love food too and I can't stay away from the fatty (delicious) foods, its just quite satisfying! Live for today and enjoy the good food life has to offer is what I go by....and yes, no point in dying of heart disease with a perfect liver, that would be a harsh joke!

ArchangelDecker said...

Quote: Why does the moth fly into the flame?

I hate to put it like this but since you asked...

You do this because you know deep down inside, she will break your heart all over again, thus justifying your feelings of inadequacy and low self esteem.

Quite frankly, you deserve better, but until *YOU* think you do, this cycle will repeat itself endlessly.


Quote: I’m being true to myself.

Are you really? I'm guessing no, but then again, I don't know you all that well. :/


Again, I apologize for the harshness, but I really, really would hate to have you go through this all over again. :(


Respectfully submitted,

C.

Lynn said...

"I've always loved you." except for the time that I had Tim's dick in my mouth - then I kinda liked him. But other than that, I've always loved you.

-Lynn

Rich said...

Violet, Predictable, huh? What has me so in love? Must be hormones - makes no sense.

Arch, I hope you're wrong. It feels good, today, anyway. Thanks for the comments.

Lynn, Ouch. Thanks for the reminder